Necessary Tools and Ingredients
- 2 cups of prepared milk kefir
- fine weave cheesecloth (or coffee filter, muslin, nut milk bag etc)
- rubberband or twine to close the bag
- bowl/jar for catching the whey
Making Milk Kefir Cheese
- Place the strainer over your whey collection bowl.
- Set the cheesecloth or other fine mesh material over the strainer.
- Pour your milk kefir into the cloth.
- Gather the edges of the cloth together and tie closed.
- Hang the milk kefir over the collection bowl for 12-24 hours, depending on how dry you want the cheese.
To get a dry, crumbly cheese, take the kefir cheese after it has sat for 12 hours and place into a cheese mold (a bamboo steamer also works well) and place a weight on top. Let sit another 12 hours and remove from the mold.
The cheese will continue to sour while it is draining, if you prefer to keep the flavor mild, place everything the cheese and the bowl in the refrigerator while it is draining.
This cheese can be used plain or flavored in many different ways, to get some recipe ideas, check out the Milk Kefir Cheese Recipes page.