Enjoy a healthful and delicious sourdough kefir bread. This recipe makes a beautiful loaf that can be used to make sandwiches, toast or just enjoyed warm with a dollop of butter.
This recipe is easily doubled, tripled or quadrupled to fit your needs.
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup milk kefir
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix together the sourdough starter, milk kefir and water. Start with 1/3 cup, as you mix the dough you can add more if the dough is too dry.
- Add in the salt and sugar and mix again.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and combine. Add enough water to make a sticky dough that pools slowly outward from itself.
- Let the dough sit covered for at least 3 hours. Optionally, let the dough sit overnight.
- After 3 hours have passed, shape the loaf and place it in a greased loaf pan.
- Let the dough sit until it has doubled in size, around 4 hours.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425° Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes. The top should be a deep brown color but not scorched.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pan and let cool on a rack.
- Slice and enjoy!
- The longer the dough sits, the more sour it will become. Tailor the ferment time to suit the type of bread you want to eat. 7 hours produces a mild, barely sour bread, whereas an overnight rise can yield a bread with a bit of tang.
- To sour the bread further, refrigerate the dough 1-2 days before baking.